/** --Progress Bar-- **/

Friday, January 27, 2006

A new look for the new year

In case you don't know, I am Chinese and I celebrate Chinese New Year (29 Jan 2006). Though not while I am here in the US reason being 1)My fiance is not a Chinese 2)We don't know anybody here who also celebrate CNY. My friends told me that I can still cook up a sumptous meal and celebrate but it is just different when you are away from your family and there is only the 2 of you. And most important reason of all is the lack of the festive atmosphere... Which is why I am seriously considering going back to Singapore next CNY. G loves the whole festive CNY atmosphere anyway. He especially find it interesting that there is seemingly an endless supply of mandarin oranges (his fav fruit) and he is given money (ang bao).

Anyway, since it is tough to find CNY stuffs to decorate my apartment, I thought I will decorate my blog instead! What do you think? This will be up until the last day of CNY on the 12 Feb 2006. Then everything will be back to normal.

Chinese New Year's Eve is a big day because that's the day we have our reunion dinner. It's a day where no matter where you are, you are supposed to go back to your parents' place for the dinner, hence the name reunion. My family usually have steamboat for the reunion dinner. Of course, abalone would be one of the ingredients as well. Uhmmm, how I wish I am home now... That's why I think someone should really get cracking on getting that beaming thingy(as used in Star Trek) to work so I can just beamed myself home as and when I want! Haha. Oh well, till then, I will just have to plan ahead and take the 20hrs flight home instead.

With regards to the lace shell, I had gotten mixed responses to it. I like the small sleeves and the lace pattern at the top. However, I am not too crazy about the color and the lace pattern at the bottom. While knitting Butterfly last night, it suddenly occured to me that I should knit it using Jaggerspun Zephyr in Indigo instead. Maybe double strand it. Add a bit of shaping, forget about the lace at the bottom and I think we might have a winner here. What do you think? Well, I won't start on it until I finish Madil's Shawl. I can only handle so much laceweight yarn.

Anyway, if you are Chinese and you celebrate CNY too, have a fantastic reunion dinner! I too have sort of a reunion dinner tomorrow. I will be attending my department dinner tomorrow night.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! I'm sorry that you won't be going home, though. Your blog decorations look so cute :)

SP

27 January, 2006 13:28  
Blogger goodkarma said...

Gung Hay Fat Choy! We had a great New Year's breakfast at work today. The kids are practicing the Lion Dance every day and we can hear the drum and cymbals throughout the building during recess. I think if you were living in (or visiting) a bigger city on the West Coast you might be able to find a decent celebration! I hope you'll be in Singapore for CNY next year. :)

27 January, 2006 20:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute decorations! Have a happy CNY!

28 January, 2006 10:05  
Blogger Unknown said...

Xing Nien Kuai Leh! Sorry you didn't get to go home this year.

29 January, 2006 00:15  
Blogger yahaira said...

Happy New Year Jade!

29 January, 2006 16:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home