/** --Progress Bar-- **/

Friday, March 17, 2006

Mood = :-(

I have been feeling down recently. Firstly, my friend who passed away last year due to a car accident, well her birthday is coming soon. It saddens me to recall that last year this time, I was busy making a scarf for her. Now, she is ... gone.

Then situation at the office is not great. I am seriously underpaid and with the departure of 2 of my colleagues, they finally decide to try to make it right by me. Because they desperately need me now. However, the amount they gave is still below market rate. I heard from my sources(can't mentioned it here just in case someone in my office stumble upon this) that I could do way better out in the market. Especially since the market is so hot for developers right now in NoVa. The biggest problem I have is with the whole visa issue which is probably why the company is taking advantage of me. However, they will be sadly mistaken if they think that is what's holding me back.

From the first day I start work here, I have to constantly fight for what's fair for me. I was transferred over from the Singapore subsidary and at first they refused to recognised my years of service there. That's absurd! I am doing the same thing here as what I was doing in Singapore. Now they finally decided to recognise it. I am glad to hear that but at the same time disappointed that it has to take the departure of 2 colleagues for them to do this.

I passed up a promotion in Singapore where I will have 2 engineers reporting to me to come here. I don't expect them to give me that here but at least take that into consideration. It means something about my work performance but the HR flatly refused to and give me an attitude of take it or leave it.

And then my sources told me that my current salary is what some companies pay their fresh grad employees. I have 5 years of totally relevant experience and to hear that is a big blow to me. Sigh...

Because of my sad mood, that's also why I haven't been as responsive with your comments and why no pics of the completed Klaralund and Butterfly yet.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions on lengthening Apricot's sleeves. I will be brave and bold and try the cutting method. Wish me luck! It doesn't sound like something for the faint-hearted and the portion that I can do this is the ribbing part. Stay tuned to see if I am successful or I end up frogging the whole sleeves instead! Haha.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That really sucks about your job situation. Your employer doesn't sound like a winner -- many other companies treat their employees better. Have you tried looking at monster.com's salary info? You might be able to use that in your talks with HR, or in your search for a new job. Some companies are willing to go through the visa application process, especially if there is a high demand for your skills... maybe you can start applying to other companies? If you're on an H1 visa, I think it may be transferrable so you may not need to wait for the resetting of the quota.

Wishing you the best,

Bea (bsywan at gmail dot com)

17 March, 2006 17:23  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Oh, Jade, good luck! E-mail me if you need encouragement, and take lots of pics for the blog!

17 March, 2006 17:54  
Blogger Ruth said...

sorry to hear about your situation at work - i would be discouraged too!! always keep your options open, with a backup plan just in case they DO think of taking advantage of you. you are a valued individual no matter how your workplace sees you! =)

17 March, 2006 18:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Urgh. I hate it when that happens. Well, don't let them walk over you (though I don't think u plan to) *huggies*

19 March, 2006 01:07  
Blogger iSeL said...

So sorry to read about the loss of your friend. It's still a fresh memory, so it's no surprise you're still greiving.
*Hugs*

On the other hand, it upsets me to know you're going through all that at work. I'm glad you're standing up for yourself. Good luck and I hope you find a better job soon.

19 March, 2006 10:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home