/** --Progress Bar-- **/

Sunday, March 05, 2006

A Wedding Stole

It's difficult to take a pic of Madli on a person and yet showed how beautiful it is. You can't say I didn't try. I think the best shots are still of it on the blocking board.

All pictures for this project can be found here.

Here are the project details for my Madli's Shawl:
Pattern: Madli's Shawl
Source: Interweave Knits Summer 2004 issue
Yarn: ~1200yds of Jaggerspun Zephyr in White
Yarn Source: Springwater Fiber Workshop
Needle: US5
Size: 62" long by 20" wide
Time taken: 10 Feb 2006 - 28 Feb 2006
Made for: My friend, Yizhen (Pics of my friend with it)
Modifications:
  • Yarn substitution.
  • Instead of pinning the length edges at 4in interval during blocking, I blocked them using a wire to achieve a straighter edge.

If I were to make this again and using the same yarn, I will go down a needle size or more. I think the needle size I used makes the shawl looks more 'open'. I think with a smaller needle size, the lace pattern will be more apparent.

If you are using a thicker yarn, I think the nupp can be omitted. A nupp is where you knit and purl 7 sts in 1 st and then you purled all 7sts together on the WS.

I used a Size0000 needle to purl the nupp. That really helps for me! If not for Sz0000 needle, I think I would have given up on the nupp all in all.

Using Kitchsner stitch to graft the 2 lace portions together is exhausting. I guess it is because the yarn is fine and there were 101 sts to graft. Towards the end, I even develop a slight headache. Then again, it might just be me. =P

I loved how the lace looks while I was knitting it but that is nothing as compared to it all wet and stretched out on that old blanket (cos the shawl is too long for my blocking board). It is absolutely stunning. Lace definately needs a good blocking. The lace pattern look so much more apparent and defined now. Take a look at these before and after pictures and you will know what I am talking about.

Before & After

My first lace knitting with laceweight yarn is Butterfly but this is my first completed lace knits! I am loving the result(as can be seen with the amount of pics I had taken so far and my constant chatter about it, =P) and you bet that I will be doing more lace knitting from now on.

Seeing what a big transformation a good blocking can do, I can't wait to block Butterfly soon enough!

Past entries on this project:
Start | At 34% | At 84% | At 100%

5 Comments:

Blogger goodkarma said...

Oh, Jade, it's beautiful. Your friend will be so happy with it! She'll save it for years and hand it down to one of her own children. This is an amazing gift. :)

05 March, 2006 20:06  
Blogger Ruth said...

wow, gorgeous. i'm sure it's even more breathtaking in person. i can't wait for all my lace WIPs to be done so i can finally do something like this =)

05 March, 2006 22:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovin the lace! It will be perfect for Singapore weather.

07 March, 2006 02:39  
Blogger Marji said...

that is just gorgeous Jade, absolutely stunning!

09 March, 2006 15:58  
Blogger yahaira said...

gorgeous job jade! the shawl is so beautiful, your friend is going to love it!

10 March, 2006 10:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home