/** --Progress Bar-- **/

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A very expensive hobby

I have a lot of yarns. Most of my yarns are bought with a project in mind. Of course, there is always the occasional sales that will lure me into purchasing yarn without a project in mind. Or sometimes, it could be for the simple reason that it looks pretty and is really soft. I have no self control whatsoever, I think.

I have a table listing all the yarns and needles that I currently owned. I recently added a column to include the cost as well. The cost of the yarns that I bought 1 year ago, I of course can't remember the exact price anymore. But I can ball park it by checking out the MSRP. I am shocked, shocked to realize that I had put in a few thousands dollars into this hobby of mine. I would have tell you the exact amount but I am worried that you might faint at how much I had spent or worst yet, ROB me of my yarns!!! I am only in this for 2yrs so far and I had already spent so much! Too much!

I need to go on a diet. A yarn diet! This figure is just too much for me to handle right now. Maybe having an excel spreadsheet with all the figures is a bad idea. Maybe it isn't. Then again, I don't spend on anything anymore after relocating here.

Shopping is no longer fun when you don't have your gfs to gossip with as you shop. In addition, most clothing just don't fit me right over here. I also have the tendency to convert the price back to SGD(Singapore dollars) too which of course deters me from buying any clothing. Because for that same price, I can get something way better in quality back in Singapore. I know I can't compare things this way but I just can't help it. So my shopping is limited to when I made my yearly trip back home. I know, I know. I am making excuses for spending so much on my yarns.

With my imminent relocation, I am even more inclined to spend on yarns. Actually, let me rephrase that, on anything else that I think I can get here cheaper and yet is not available in Singapore. I know, Germany is a developed country. They have everything too but it's the 'what-if' that wins at the end of the day. Besides, I checked, things are cheaper here especially taking the exchange rate into account.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think of it this way... this hobby has given you much happiness! I say it's all worth it. =)

But if I were to relocate to Europe, yes, I agree, I'd feel inclined to stock up too. The US dollar is falling and its known that things are more expensive on that side of the ocean!

10 January, 2007 15:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're a great knitter, you make beautiful things, you deserve it :)

I stopped feeling bad about the stash, I don't even remember the last time I opened my yarn inventory spreadsheet. That's why it's called a hobby, and I feel that we're very lucky to have discovered such a great hobby. Everybody has some kind of obsession, at least ours keeps us warm. I agree with you about things being cheaper here.

So how do you like your new SD800? Nice camera!

10 January, 2007 21:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everytime my mom saw a package arriving for me, she'll ask me if its worth it. I'll tell her "its a hobby" but in fact its an obsession! (for me) Nothing beats the moment the yarn arrives.. I'll spend a few hours happily playing with it. Its like, having as many first loves, as often as I like. (lol) If that applies to you too, its all worth it. =D Doing your shopping in Singapore has another bonus : probability of someone owning the same item in USA (or Germany) is pretty low. I'd do the same if I were you ;)

15 January, 2007 06:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hobby cannot be measured by dollars and cents. It is the enjoyment that the hobby brings especially when there is a FO or when some difficulties are overcame.

I just started knitting one year plus back. Guess what I had two hundred ball of yarns now. Look at the colorful yarns and feeling them sometimes is an enjoyment too. :)

17 January, 2007 01:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home